The Hunger Games

 The Hunger Games

By: Suzanne Collins

Written by the talented author Suzanne Collins, "The Hunger Games" series is New York Times bestseller trilogy, and some of the best books I have ever read. The main character Katniss Everdeen runs into a hard situation that will soon last her whole life. 
Katniss is a kick ass, 16 year old, born to almost poverty in the district 12. She hunts with a bow and arrow with her close friend, and so called 'Cousin', Gale Hawthorne, but when the reaping comes around, that world turns upside down.
Starting off, the reaping  is the selection of the people that are going to be in the games. The competitors have to kill all the other people in the games (why, that's a happy thought!), without getting themselves killed. 
Her 'Sidekick', Peeta Mellark was also put into the paradise of the reaping. Son of a baker, and siblings of many, his mom would beat him, and treat him badly. He is strong from the flower bags, and an artist because of the frosting; little did he know that it would come in handy.
Meanwhile, their mentor, Haymitch Abernathy, is an unpleasant victor, washing away his days with  the mercy of alcohol
The story is in the future, but the games use weapons like, arrows, knives, machetes, etc. I noticed this because of the hovercrafts, and the funny style of clothes worn in the capitol. 

Suzanne Collins did such an amazing job, that in 2012, a movie series came out about it too! Starring actors, Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, and Josh Hutcherson. 

I recommended this series because...I actually don't know why! I just think that this is a beautifully written series, and that everyone should read it, or even just watch it!

Some sources say that adults think it is for kids between 11-13 years old, yet some say 13+.
From asking some questions, some kids think it is actually okay for 10+. 

I really thank Suzanne Collins for such an amazing series, 
and I hope you enjoy it too!

Petra

Suzanne Collins was born on August 10th 1962, with about 3 siblings. her father was in the army so they kept moving around. She graduated with a Dramatic Writing degree, and ended with Great success! The trilogy won some big awards, like the "Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award","Fantasy & Science Fiction - Young Adult" award, and the "Hal Clement Award!"(It won a LOT more!)

The hunger Games was partially inspired by the story of Theseus and the Minotaur, her father in the air force, poverty, starvation, etc. The first one was published on September 2008, The second, Catching Fire, September 2009, The two selling a whopping 1.5 Million copies in the first 14 Months! 


Comments